Show them all the beauty
I've been reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to Derek.
It's a little morbid. I knew the movie was a little over the top, but the book has the oompa loompas singing about some girl who bites her tongue off.
And the oompa loompas are supposed to be blond and wear loinclothes, but whatever.
We just hit page 100. I've been trying to get into the chapter books. Honestly, it's REALLY nice to get a break from Goodnight Moon. OK, I'm exaggerating here. But some of his books are so juvenile. One sentence a page. Basically meant for him to read by himself right now.
So, we got into the chapter books. We went through some Beverly Cleary (he LOVES the Ralph Mouse books) and The Phantom Toolbooth (one of my personal favorites - someone was visiting from Canby, Oregon earlier and it made me kinda chuckle....I'm as sad as Can be, and I'm as happy as Can be.....Oh, then you must be Canby.) Now, we get some Roald Dahl. I'm kinda hoping to get into Fudge and some Judy Blume next.
It's kinda too bad that I can't read "Are you there god?, It's me, Margaret." to him. I suppose I could just re-read it myself. I loved Judy Blume as a kid.
Before I got into things like Stephen King. There is no saying I can't go back and read young adult books, is there?
Some unwritten rule, perhaps?
Well, the pain is starting behind my right eye again. It feels like someone is shoving a needle into my brain. It helps if I close the eye. That's kinda wierd.
Anyhow, I need to go and stop this. Hurting is bad. :s
It's a little morbid. I knew the movie was a little over the top, but the book has the oompa loompas singing about some girl who bites her tongue off.
And the oompa loompas are supposed to be blond and wear loinclothes, but whatever.
We just hit page 100. I've been trying to get into the chapter books. Honestly, it's REALLY nice to get a break from Goodnight Moon. OK, I'm exaggerating here. But some of his books are so juvenile. One sentence a page. Basically meant for him to read by himself right now.
So, we got into the chapter books. We went through some Beverly Cleary (he LOVES the Ralph Mouse books) and The Phantom Toolbooth (one of my personal favorites - someone was visiting from Canby, Oregon earlier and it made me kinda chuckle....I'm as sad as Can be, and I'm as happy as Can be.....Oh, then you must be Canby.) Now, we get some Roald Dahl. I'm kinda hoping to get into Fudge and some Judy Blume next.
It's kinda too bad that I can't read "Are you there god?, It's me, Margaret." to him. I suppose I could just re-read it myself. I loved Judy Blume as a kid.
Before I got into things like Stephen King. There is no saying I can't go back and read young adult books, is there?
Some unwritten rule, perhaps?
Well, the pain is starting behind my right eye again. It feels like someone is shoving a needle into my brain. It helps if I close the eye. That's kinda wierd.
Anyhow, I need to go and stop this. Hurting is bad. :s
Comments
Thanks, as an aside, for the comment on Gas Guy's valedictory address. No, Zilla most certainly is not annoying. I've rather appreciated her commentary on my stuff.
Jeremy.
For some reason, in my head, I always compare them to the Wrinkle in Time books. I have read those.
those Brits. :) I guess they just must have FANTASTIC imaginations.
I can't imagine him not being a reader, so as he's gotten older, I've
looked through our books at the book store and bought the ones I used
to love.
It would have been more appropriate for me to also address your post,
but when I saw that, I got a little angry. I tend to want to stick up
for people. Zilla and I had a whole email conversation about your post
last night.