The bus driver
Was talking all philosophical-like yesterday.
He was asking me about work and I was like....well, it's back to getting off at seven, but that's just the way it is.
He was like...well, I know you're not complaining. I was like....no, not really. Jobs are good. He started talking about how someone that day had wished that they were rich. And he said that he wouldn't rather be rich. His best friend had been married to a rich woman and she was NEVER happy.
I could see that. I could see people never feeling pride from a job done right. I could see people always being unhappy because most of the time their life is "easy", so when something goes wrong, they don't know how to deal with it.
As much as I used to wish I could be coddled and taken care of by my parents, I'm glad that I developed the ability to "roll with the punches". (DAMN, I seem to be FULL of cliches today) I KNOW that I can make it better. And that most of ANYTHING is all about your attitude and the way you face it. Sure, sometimes I just cry. But then I get it out and feel able to deal with what I need to do to fix this or that.
I read a book once that said "Without darkness there would be no light." I used to think that was bullshit. I USED to think that without the darkness, I could STILL be happy...or even that I would be happier. But what would I have to compare it too? Would it mean as much without the hardships? I've started to think that maybe that book was right. Maybe we all NEED to be able to accomplish things and make our own lives better to feel genuine happiness.
He was asking me about work and I was like....well, it's back to getting off at seven, but that's just the way it is.
He was like...well, I know you're not complaining. I was like....no, not really. Jobs are good. He started talking about how someone that day had wished that they were rich. And he said that he wouldn't rather be rich. His best friend had been married to a rich woman and she was NEVER happy.
I could see that. I could see people never feeling pride from a job done right. I could see people always being unhappy because most of the time their life is "easy", so when something goes wrong, they don't know how to deal with it.
As much as I used to wish I could be coddled and taken care of by my parents, I'm glad that I developed the ability to "roll with the punches". (DAMN, I seem to be FULL of cliches today) I KNOW that I can make it better. And that most of ANYTHING is all about your attitude and the way you face it. Sure, sometimes I just cry. But then I get it out and feel able to deal with what I need to do to fix this or that.
I read a book once that said "Without darkness there would be no light." I used to think that was bullshit. I USED to think that without the darkness, I could STILL be happy...or even that I would be happier. But what would I have to compare it too? Would it mean as much without the hardships? I've started to think that maybe that book was right. Maybe we all NEED to be able to accomplish things and make our own lives better to feel genuine happiness.
Comments
Whenever something goes bad for me, I'm inclined to think of someone I know who's had everything perfect their whole life. I listen to them bemoan little trivialities that are not really problems.
Rather than wish my problems on them, though, I am more inclined to think "Thank God this didn't happen to you. You're not equipped to deal with it."
I think you may be onto something. :-)
Zilla - I think I might be. I'm trying anyhow. To get to this perfect enlightened place in my head that will let me be happy no matter what might happen.