Grounded
Derek has been grounded. Not even two weeks into school and he's already in trouble.
He's been going over to this kid's house, and the kid comes over here, it's pretty amusing. And I am SO glad that there is someone in the neighborhood that he can play with. That first week of visiting, the other kid came here, Derek went there the next day, and I think the day after that.
Ben made sure to meet the parents, get an impression, explain our rules, especially regarding video games. Apparently, they let their son play games that are rated T and crap? I don't know...different strokes and all that. It's really not that big of a deal, as long as Derek doesn't play them.
I mean...they're not cokeheads and they seem to be ok people, so hurray.
I'm glad he's got someone to play with.
Unfortunately, while Derek was at friend's house, they decided to walk back here.
Yeah...we don't even let Derek walk home from school alone. Or to school. There are sick fucking people in this world and I'm sure the really sick ones end up close to schools when children are there. I mean....right? Doesn't that make sense?
Granted there are crossing guards and everything, so Derek could be seen almost the whole way home, but still.
He needs to learn about freaky people, but I'm not entirely sure how to get there. I don't want to freak him out and be like....they could chop you into little, bitty pieces...or do other things.
I don't want to make him afraid of everything, but I don't know how to make him afraid when he should be.
If that makes sense.
Anyhow. They walked towards the house and on the way, they came across another friend from school, and his mom was like....c'mon, I'll give you a ride home.
DEREK GOT IN THE CAR.
WITH A COMPLETE STRANGER.
This is why Derek should be afraid sometimes.
THIS TIME IT WAS FINE.
Just because it's someone's mother doesn't make them any less of a scary person. My step father had children...and well...he is MY scary person. At least in my head.
Never mind that he was inside the house and not a threat from outside, that's what I think of.
At times I am thankful that I have a boy child. I know that STATISTICALLY, boys don't get molested as much as girls.
I think some sort of fate was like.....oh hey, we can't have her wondering all the damn time, so perhaps a boy would be good.
I also know that statistically, children of molested people are more likely to have the same happen to them. I've read LOTS of books about it all.
This might even be one of the reasons why I don't want to have another child.
Anyhow, we sat down and talked with him for awhile about how it's NOT ok to get in a car without us knowing the person..unless it's a policeman or something. Some extreme circumstance.
I HOPE he gets it. I know he didn't get upset about being grounded or anything. He realizes that it was a bad thing and he should not do that ever again.
It's just fucking scary being a parent in this day and age.
He's been going over to this kid's house, and the kid comes over here, it's pretty amusing. And I am SO glad that there is someone in the neighborhood that he can play with. That first week of visiting, the other kid came here, Derek went there the next day, and I think the day after that.
Ben made sure to meet the parents, get an impression, explain our rules, especially regarding video games. Apparently, they let their son play games that are rated T and crap? I don't know...different strokes and all that. It's really not that big of a deal, as long as Derek doesn't play them.
I mean...they're not cokeheads and they seem to be ok people, so hurray.
I'm glad he's got someone to play with.
Unfortunately, while Derek was at friend's house, they decided to walk back here.
Yeah...we don't even let Derek walk home from school alone. Or to school. There are sick fucking people in this world and I'm sure the really sick ones end up close to schools when children are there. I mean....right? Doesn't that make sense?
Granted there are crossing guards and everything, so Derek could be seen almost the whole way home, but still.
He needs to learn about freaky people, but I'm not entirely sure how to get there. I don't want to freak him out and be like....they could chop you into little, bitty pieces...or do other things.
I don't want to make him afraid of everything, but I don't know how to make him afraid when he should be.
If that makes sense.
Anyhow. They walked towards the house and on the way, they came across another friend from school, and his mom was like....c'mon, I'll give you a ride home.
DEREK GOT IN THE CAR.
WITH A COMPLETE STRANGER.
This is why Derek should be afraid sometimes.
THIS TIME IT WAS FINE.
Just because it's someone's mother doesn't make them any less of a scary person. My step father had children...and well...he is MY scary person. At least in my head.
Never mind that he was inside the house and not a threat from outside, that's what I think of.
At times I am thankful that I have a boy child. I know that STATISTICALLY, boys don't get molested as much as girls.
I think some sort of fate was like.....oh hey, we can't have her wondering all the damn time, so perhaps a boy would be good.
I also know that statistically, children of molested people are more likely to have the same happen to them. I've read LOTS of books about it all.
This might even be one of the reasons why I don't want to have another child.
Anyhow, we sat down and talked with him for awhile about how it's NOT ok to get in a car without us knowing the person..unless it's a policeman or something. Some extreme circumstance.
I HOPE he gets it. I know he didn't get upset about being grounded or anything. He realizes that it was a bad thing and he should not do that ever again.
It's just fucking scary being a parent in this day and age.
Comments
*freaks out*
He actually Got in a car with someone he didn't know???
I think I would have to have throttled him.
I don't know.
I can't throttle him, that won't make him not do it again.
He seemed to get it when we explained, but who can know until the situation comes up again?
And I don't think he'll be outside without an adult any damn time soon.