Once upon a time

When I was little girl, I wanted to be a teacher. I LOVE kids. I really do. They amuse me. They are unintentionally funny, and make great stories for later.
To share with other people who like kids. I suppose sharing those stories doesn't help me with people who don't care for kids.

I am so glad that I did not turn out to be a teacher, cause I really HATE teaching.
The whole time I am trying to teach someone something, my first option is always to just do it myself. Like, here you watch me, I'll do it and then you'll learn.
Yeah, not so good for retaining information. Usually, doing it yourself makes a more lasting impression. It does NOT matter that I know this.
Because I CAN FUCKING do it faster.
No where in my life is this quality more apparent then with my own child. This could be why it was so hard to potty train. I can't exactly do it for him.

Today he wanted to help with the dishes. Most of them had cheese and shit pretty stuck, so I figured...well, I should wash them.
Instead he wanted to rinse....OMG!
I swear what would have taken me 2 minutes took like TEN. And I know he needs to learn, but DAMN. Then he didn't know how to stack the dishes in the drainer. So, he rinsed them and then handed them back to me, to put in the drainer. It didn't feel like we were working any faster as a TEAM, but I tried to hold it in. Until he kept splashing me with the water. That was when I grabbed that particular bowl and just did it myself. Yes, I did say grabbed and I meant grabbed.
My impatience is amazing.
I did let him finish out the sink. Then he helped me dry. That part was ok.
While we were doing the dishes, he would look at me and say something about how Ben does it this way, or that way, or what ever the hell. Cause Ben has more patience than me and he is trying to teach Derek to do the dishes.
My control freakiness leapt to the forefront of my mind and I started to think...GREAT. Not only do I have to hold my tongue about the way he does dishes, now he'll teach Derek to do them the same way.
I KNOW! I should be happy he does the dishes.
I just don't understand. He does one load in the sink, empties it all out, rinses FOREVER, and then he's out of hot water before they are done.
This usually means by the third load.
I do at least two sinkfuls to a tub. The water is STILL soapy and no one I know has ever gotten sick from eating off of something I've cleaned.
I, of course, think my way is better.
It does get ALL the dishes done. When I am doing the dishes, RARELY will there be any left when I am done.

He prolly thinks he is right. To each their own.
It just threw me off that Derek will learn his way. It makes sense, seeing as how they spend more time together and over all, Ben does more dishes.
But damn.
I explained to Derek that obviously we do it differently, but BOTH ways get the dishes clean.
We'll see which he picks up.

This happens at work as well. I don't teach well. They don't believe me. They think that I can. I suppose I should be excited that they think I can do better than I think. But really, who knows me better?

Don't anyone ask me to teach their kids anything ok? It will not turn out well.

Comments

Brandy said…
I love teaching.
Unfortunately it ends up out of age-appropriate.

oh well.
can't say I don't try :)
SWSNBN said…
I'm just FAR too easily frustrated..and annoyed.
It's a good thing Derek is an only child. I can't imagine getting through the baby and toddler years again. Not with my patience level now.

Popular posts from this blog

Anonymous no more?

Today is the day, we break free.