My kid broke his teeth..

Don't you hate THOSE phone calls? The ones from the school where your kid is? Lately those calls have been focused on my child's behavior, or lack of behavior in certain situations. Very rarely is it a hurt call. It has happened, like that one time when he hit his tail bone and managed to bruise it. He got to come home for that one, I think he even stayed home the next day. These things seem to largely happen on Thursday, which tends to be my busiest day at work, but there isn't much to do when your kid does something like this.
I groaned when she said it was the school's office. Until she mentioned the word accident. At least that's what permeated to my brain. She may have started with more than just "there's been an accident", but that seems to be all I really heard.
How that word sets my heart to racing. Probably any mom's heart.
He slipped (tripped? He said both words) on a jump rope and went face first into the concrete.
I'm so very lucky that it wasn't worse. He could have put them through his lip easily. And it appears that his teeth took the brunt force, no scratches on his face or anything.
Oh, those were the permanent, pretty, perfect teeth too. =(
I called Ben, sent him to the school, got on the phone with the dentist, got a ride from a co-worker to the house, then to the dentist. They had him in right away, but had to come back in between settling other patients, so it took until after 2. A little more than an hour, but it was quick once they were able to sit and deal with him.
They had to give him Novocain, (none of my spellings look right, I guess I don't use that word often) cause one of them was right up by the gums. We kept the teeth, for all the good it did. Unfortunately, they could not reattach them, instead they went for fillings basically. One is slightly shorter than the other side, to prevent him from knocking it against anything and perhaps knocking off the filling. They're hoping that will keep fine, or else they may have to go as far as a root canal.
When I got home, my kid was calmly sitting on the couch, playing video games. I looked, and it didn't look as bad as I envisioned (why do I always go for worse case scenario first? I guess it's nice to be prepared.) on the way home. Ben was like..yeah, say "s" Derek. He had a lisp, not as bad now, but maybe still a bit. Makes sense, he couldn't put his tongue against teeth that weren't there. Once he gets used to the smaller side, he'll probably re-adjust to putting his tongue there.
Of course, that's only my own thoughts, who really knows.
No blood=me calming down a bit, though my adrenaline was racing until about 4 today. Long after I got back to work.
I like the dentist. I like that they didn't treat me like a hysterical female just cause I was sad that my kid had to have the shot in the first place. He screamed so loud they were like..ok, you are going to scare the other kids in here.
But then it was numb and he didn't care anymore.
And the filling went a lot faster after that.
He's just excited that they give him a token to get a toy with out of the machine.
We have things he can't eat now. Like apples (cut up pieces should be fine), or corn on the cob, or sticky things. Nothing that could potentially pull the filling out. If the worse tooth gets uncovered again, I'm pretty sure it would hurt him just to eat. =(
We have another appointment next Friday, the kid was concerned that he would not be able to visit with Josh and family, I assured him that it should be fine. A broken leg is one thing, broken teeth should be fine. =S
What a weird thing to type.
I guess I need to teach that boy how to fall down safely. Not that I'm a pro, but maybe we can avoid these things in the future.
And me? I'm just damned proud of me that I managed not to cry, my instant reaction to stress. It makes me feel like a damn fool, but I can't seem to help it. I did today though. I got close at one point, but then went into militant mother mode.
I hope everyone else's day was less eventful than mine. lol.
Sadly, we did not take a picture of his broken teeth, nor a video of him trying to talk. So all you'll ever see is his fillings. And the slightly different length of this two front teeth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anonymous no more?

Today is the day, we break free.