The Concert, redux.
I had a BALL. Not literally, of course.
I met Heather at the liquor store downtown, we headed to Good Times to see Mike and have a beer or two.
Then out to Heather's house to get ready. I got to play with her wiener dogs and Jager was competing with Ester for wiener dog who loves me most. He just kept laying on me, and showing me his belly. Then he would get this little gap tooth grin on his face when I would pet him. Jasper sat patiently in the middle of the room waiting for his ball. Or not so patiently at times, but he was trying. Then when given the ball, he barked ferociously at it when it would get away from him. He kept finding it, blind though he may be.
We decided that we should eat something, so Heather bought us some cheeseburgers and we sat in front of Skinner's Butte park and ate. Watching the kids have fun. Saturday was truly a glorious day, perfect for ambling about outside.
Which we did a bit of after parking Heather's car downtown. We sat on the mall for about twenty minutes marveling at how we used to spend whole days down there.
Then we decided that Horsehead would be a good place to wait for the concert doors to open. We managed to sit close the this girl who thought she was pretty hot shit. Kept giving people names like "nipple boy"; "bootilicous"; or "Bret Micheals". Just cause the cook semi resembled Bret. We managed to escape her annoyingness and it's a good thing too, cause she certainly kept harassing "nipple boy" and his whole table. Gotta love it when people get that kind of drunk. Her boyfriend had a tattoo on his neck so I kept calling him a "gangster". Derek told me that that's what it means when you have a tattoo on your neck. In all seriousness. My kid is full of stereotypes. Like the time he told me he hates hippies, cause they're all like "peace, man" and flash you the peace sign.
I KNOW he's going to be Republican with his stereotypes and hating peace. lol.
We stood in front of the WOW hall for twenty minutes before the doors opened. It was actually quite easy to just state "I'm on the list" and get in. I mean, I did pay to be on that list, but for some reason I was expecting a catastrophe or something.
Elijah barely made it before we got inside, but we all just headed back outside anyhow. We were not in the mood for an opening band, and instead stood on the corner like hoodlums smoking and trying to avoid the people who see Heather at work. I work on campus and I used to spend a LOT of time here, but for the most part the people who I used to hang out with didn't come in here. I never did, and I'm not sure why. Would have been an easy bathroom, but I was always like...well, it's a bookstore, I don't need books and didn't come in here.
The worst I get is creepy ex-boyfriend who managed to be standing RIGHT behind me on Monday while I was talking with Mike. I didn't quite run back to my desk, but eek in any case.
After about an hour and a half of that, Heather and I headed into the bar of the WOW hall, which was exciting. Not that it's spectacular, but it was cool to be allowed down there. The guy took an extra long time checking my id, I was half afraid he was going to decide it wasn't me. I got carded almost everywhere I went with Heather on Saturday, the pigtails may have had something to do with it. I just knew that I wanted my hair off my neck, but I still wanted to look cute, so pigtails were the best option. Heather said my hair looked cute and I know that Ben liked it ;) so score for me. They mostly kept the hair off my neck too, though once my neck got sweaty and wet all bets were off.
Steve Perry was about 3 people in front of us when we went down to the bar and I was all like...Heather! and fan girl-ish about it, but she was like...ok, now shh. Besides who wants to be that person? He just wanted a beer like me, if I met him in real life, my illusions may be shattered anyhow. I mean...I've helped him over the counter at work, but I wouldn't count that as "meeting" him.
After heading upstairs, Heather and I staked our claim about 3 people from the front. It's amazing, the range of people you see. Old gray haired ladies, right down to kids who looked my kid's age. With parents of course, but it was still strange.
I knew it was going to be hot, I knew it was going to be loud, what I didn't count on was that I should have had some water or something.
About 2 songs in, my feet started to burn. I decided that if I couldn't dance, it wasn't worth going and that my being out of shape was not going to prevent my from enjoying myself. All those cigarettes I smoked during the day probably did not help. I'm used to not smoking most days. I don't officially call myself a non-smoker as that's too much pressure, but I don't often even carry them with me.
It's cheaper that way.
When the adrenaline kicked in (may have been after my first real scream), my feet didn't hurt so much. My chest POUNDED hard, but again, I refused to let anything hold me back. Not even the guy who almost elbowed me in the boob with his dancing. I started to feel like I was melting and kept pushing my bangs off my forehead. Heather went outside and I was just like..nope. Not missing a second.
Had I known the play list, perhaps I would have ventured out to cool off during two of the newer songs as I didn't know them so well.
They played 5 or 6 of the newer songs, and I'm glad they follow along with their type of music, sadly they crowded out old favorites, such as "Shake Your Love maker". They almost always play that one, but perhaps they've played it out. I loved hearing "Hi and Lo" which is impossible to find on CD, Heather tells me that it is on the new CD, so I shall be buying that one in June when I can.
The audience threw out songs, I was surprised to hear someone shout out "Answering Machine"...one of my favorites from "Ferociously Stoned", but not one they usually play at concerts. It's nice to know that others enjoy that album as much as I do.
I was relieved and disappointed when it was over. Relieved that my out of shape body made it through another concert and what I put it through and relieved for the cold air, disappointed that my stress release was over for this time. It felt like a short set, but they did do an encore. I remember the days when we could get two encores. =)
Heh.
However, I'm chalking it all up to being out of shape, as 27 is NOT the new old. LOL.
Heather headed for the door when it was clear they were not coming back out, and I made my way over to my boss' boss to say hi. I was sweaty, hair and tank top sticking to me, over shirt discarded, and yet she hugged me. I warned her, but she didn't care. It was totally cool of her that she did that.
I talked with her a bit, she's one of my favorite people to work with, and we headed for the door together. I knew Heather would wait for me. I even managed to see this one tall guy I know, ERIN! lol.
I was sad that I missed him inside, but when I finally got outside, he was waiting with Heather! So, I got to see Erin, his awesome girlfriend Cat and Paul was even with them too.
Very, very cool to unexpectedly see friends. I hope I was properly excited, but I was still sweaty and riding my euphoria high. I think I burst out of the WOW hall yelling about how I could never possibly be COLD again. lol. Which is a lie, I'm kind of cold now, damn circulation!
Hugs to the boys (that's weird..I think I tend to hug guy friends a lot, not that I know Cat that well, but hm. Perplexing), then they were on their way somewhere else.
We sat outside for a bit more, but Heather had to work at the butt crack of dawn the next day, so we headed towards her car. My voice held out, which is surprising. Heather mentioned that she thinks I should tape my screaming and sell it to the police. Not for the volume, but for the pitch. It IS a weird thing. To have such a high pitch come out of me. It's not something I can harness. It just seems to happen when I really, really scream. I don't do it anywhere else, I don't want people to think I'm being mugged, but I routinely have people in front of me looking back at me through the whole show, not quite believing it's me who's making that noise. It totally is guys, the short, fat chick who speaks somewhat low. I couldn't sing at that pitch if a gun was pointed to my head but I can scream it out. Ha ha.
It's nice that people appreciate my talents, weird though they may be. I felt comforted by Heather's observation, as if her noticing made it more true or something. lol. I think I just like it when people notice things about me in general. Go figure.
Perhaps I can get a future job in fog horn manufacturing. =)
Or dog whistles. Something like that.
I got home around 11:30, couldn't sleep until 2.
I also found that my whole head was soaked, including parts of my pigtails. Apparently, I sweat a LOT. lol.
The adrenaline was still pumping and I found myself swaying in bed to music still playing in my head. I came out feeling sweaty, refreshed, ready to take on the world. Sadly, it hasn't taken very long for me to wish that there was another one to look forward to anytime soon.
Damn, that was long. Kudos to you if you made it this far. I hope I've managed to impart even a bit of the awesomeness that was the show, cause they put on a hell of a show. I did not take my camera, cause I did not want to be worried about the camera the whole time, so you get no pictures.
However, you do get Ben and Myself today. Isn't it precious? I know I'm a dork, I thought it was cool to smoke in pictures when I was 15.
I met Heather at the liquor store downtown, we headed to Good Times to see Mike and have a beer or two.
Then out to Heather's house to get ready. I got to play with her wiener dogs and Jager was competing with Ester for wiener dog who loves me most. He just kept laying on me, and showing me his belly. Then he would get this little gap tooth grin on his face when I would pet him. Jasper sat patiently in the middle of the room waiting for his ball. Or not so patiently at times, but he was trying. Then when given the ball, he barked ferociously at it when it would get away from him. He kept finding it, blind though he may be.
We decided that we should eat something, so Heather bought us some cheeseburgers and we sat in front of Skinner's Butte park and ate. Watching the kids have fun. Saturday was truly a glorious day, perfect for ambling about outside.
Which we did a bit of after parking Heather's car downtown. We sat on the mall for about twenty minutes marveling at how we used to spend whole days down there.
Then we decided that Horsehead would be a good place to wait for the concert doors to open. We managed to sit close the this girl who thought she was pretty hot shit. Kept giving people names like "nipple boy"; "bootilicous"; or "Bret Micheals". Just cause the cook semi resembled Bret. We managed to escape her annoyingness and it's a good thing too, cause she certainly kept harassing "nipple boy" and his whole table. Gotta love it when people get that kind of drunk. Her boyfriend had a tattoo on his neck so I kept calling him a "gangster". Derek told me that that's what it means when you have a tattoo on your neck. In all seriousness. My kid is full of stereotypes. Like the time he told me he hates hippies, cause they're all like "peace, man" and flash you the peace sign.
I KNOW he's going to be Republican with his stereotypes and hating peace. lol.
We stood in front of the WOW hall for twenty minutes before the doors opened. It was actually quite easy to just state "I'm on the list" and get in. I mean, I did pay to be on that list, but for some reason I was expecting a catastrophe or something.
Elijah barely made it before we got inside, but we all just headed back outside anyhow. We were not in the mood for an opening band, and instead stood on the corner like hoodlums smoking and trying to avoid the people who see Heather at work. I work on campus and I used to spend a LOT of time here, but for the most part the people who I used to hang out with didn't come in here. I never did, and I'm not sure why. Would have been an easy bathroom, but I was always like...well, it's a bookstore, I don't need books and didn't come in here.
The worst I get is creepy ex-boyfriend who managed to be standing RIGHT behind me on Monday while I was talking with Mike. I didn't quite run back to my desk, but eek in any case.
After about an hour and a half of that, Heather and I headed into the bar of the WOW hall, which was exciting. Not that it's spectacular, but it was cool to be allowed down there. The guy took an extra long time checking my id, I was half afraid he was going to decide it wasn't me. I got carded almost everywhere I went with Heather on Saturday, the pigtails may have had something to do with it. I just knew that I wanted my hair off my neck, but I still wanted to look cute, so pigtails were the best option. Heather said my hair looked cute and I know that Ben liked it ;) so score for me. They mostly kept the hair off my neck too, though once my neck got sweaty and wet all bets were off.
Steve Perry was about 3 people in front of us when we went down to the bar and I was all like...Heather! and fan girl-ish about it, but she was like...ok, now shh. Besides who wants to be that person? He just wanted a beer like me, if I met him in real life, my illusions may be shattered anyhow. I mean...I've helped him over the counter at work, but I wouldn't count that as "meeting" him.
After heading upstairs, Heather and I staked our claim about 3 people from the front. It's amazing, the range of people you see. Old gray haired ladies, right down to kids who looked my kid's age. With parents of course, but it was still strange.
I knew it was going to be hot, I knew it was going to be loud, what I didn't count on was that I should have had some water or something.
About 2 songs in, my feet started to burn. I decided that if I couldn't dance, it wasn't worth going and that my being out of shape was not going to prevent my from enjoying myself. All those cigarettes I smoked during the day probably did not help. I'm used to not smoking most days. I don't officially call myself a non-smoker as that's too much pressure, but I don't often even carry them with me.
It's cheaper that way.
When the adrenaline kicked in (may have been after my first real scream), my feet didn't hurt so much. My chest POUNDED hard, but again, I refused to let anything hold me back. Not even the guy who almost elbowed me in the boob with his dancing. I started to feel like I was melting and kept pushing my bangs off my forehead. Heather went outside and I was just like..nope. Not missing a second.
Had I known the play list, perhaps I would have ventured out to cool off during two of the newer songs as I didn't know them so well.
They played 5 or 6 of the newer songs, and I'm glad they follow along with their type of music, sadly they crowded out old favorites, such as "Shake Your Love maker". They almost always play that one, but perhaps they've played it out. I loved hearing "Hi and Lo" which is impossible to find on CD, Heather tells me that it is on the new CD, so I shall be buying that one in June when I can.
The audience threw out songs, I was surprised to hear someone shout out "Answering Machine"...one of my favorites from "Ferociously Stoned", but not one they usually play at concerts. It's nice to know that others enjoy that album as much as I do.
I was relieved and disappointed when it was over. Relieved that my out of shape body made it through another concert and what I put it through and relieved for the cold air, disappointed that my stress release was over for this time. It felt like a short set, but they did do an encore. I remember the days when we could get two encores. =)
Heh.
However, I'm chalking it all up to being out of shape, as 27 is NOT the new old. LOL.
Heather headed for the door when it was clear they were not coming back out, and I made my way over to my boss' boss to say hi. I was sweaty, hair and tank top sticking to me, over shirt discarded, and yet she hugged me. I warned her, but she didn't care. It was totally cool of her that she did that.
I talked with her a bit, she's one of my favorite people to work with, and we headed for the door together. I knew Heather would wait for me. I even managed to see this one tall guy I know, ERIN! lol.
I was sad that I missed him inside, but when I finally got outside, he was waiting with Heather! So, I got to see Erin, his awesome girlfriend Cat and Paul was even with them too.
Very, very cool to unexpectedly see friends. I hope I was properly excited, but I was still sweaty and riding my euphoria high. I think I burst out of the WOW hall yelling about how I could never possibly be COLD again. lol. Which is a lie, I'm kind of cold now, damn circulation!
Hugs to the boys (that's weird..I think I tend to hug guy friends a lot, not that I know Cat that well, but hm. Perplexing), then they were on their way somewhere else.
We sat outside for a bit more, but Heather had to work at the butt crack of dawn the next day, so we headed towards her car. My voice held out, which is surprising. Heather mentioned that she thinks I should tape my screaming and sell it to the police. Not for the volume, but for the pitch. It IS a weird thing. To have such a high pitch come out of me. It's not something I can harness. It just seems to happen when I really, really scream. I don't do it anywhere else, I don't want people to think I'm being mugged, but I routinely have people in front of me looking back at me through the whole show, not quite believing it's me who's making that noise. It totally is guys, the short, fat chick who speaks somewhat low. I couldn't sing at that pitch if a gun was pointed to my head but I can scream it out. Ha ha.
It's nice that people appreciate my talents, weird though they may be. I felt comforted by Heather's observation, as if her noticing made it more true or something. lol. I think I just like it when people notice things about me in general. Go figure.
Perhaps I can get a future job in fog horn manufacturing. =)
Or dog whistles. Something like that.
I got home around 11:30, couldn't sleep until 2.
I also found that my whole head was soaked, including parts of my pigtails. Apparently, I sweat a LOT. lol.
The adrenaline was still pumping and I found myself swaying in bed to music still playing in my head. I came out feeling sweaty, refreshed, ready to take on the world. Sadly, it hasn't taken very long for me to wish that there was another one to look forward to anytime soon.
Damn, that was long. Kudos to you if you made it this far. I hope I've managed to impart even a bit of the awesomeness that was the show, cause they put on a hell of a show. I did not take my camera, cause I did not want to be worried about the camera the whole time, so you get no pictures.
However, you do get Ben and Myself today. Isn't it precious? I know I'm a dork, I thought it was cool to smoke in pictures when I was 15.
Comments