Tired

Well, I'm home.
It's almost deathly quiet. If I knew when the boys would be back, I'd be tempted to pay for a pay per view horror flick, but if the kid gets back halfway through, I wouldn't be able to watch the ending.
Cause I'm crazy like that and I restrict what the kid sees on TV.
He'd like to watch a horror movie, but it's going to be awhile before I'll let him. He tends to have weird dreams (at least I passed something on to him) already, I'm not going to make them worse.

I have to vent a little here. I've asked and asked Jake not to let Derek watch PG13 movies. Even if they don't seem scary or strange to us, they are rated that way for a reason. Yes, some really freaking cool movies are PG13. He'll get there in time and see them then. Or other cool, newer movies. I don't believe he'll look back on being 9 and think, "jeez, why couldn't my mom ever let me watch stuff that was too mature for me?" Maybe he will. But I don't think so.
I grew up in very different households. When I lived with my Dad, I was allowed to watch Disney, and OPB. That was pretty much it.
When I lived with my mom, I was allowed to watch whatever I wanted. Now, it could all be circumstance, but I never felt "innocent" for as long as I can remember. Derek is still a little innocent, and something that an adult wouldn't think is a big deal might actually be to him.
But I know a LOT of other parents who let their kids (kids Derek's age) watch whatever (and I'm not hating on them, if their kids can handle it, then good, I'm glad they can go see the new Spiderman movie). So then I feel like a prude, which is about the farthest you can get from me.
But I don't want some seemingly innocent comment to enter Derek's brain and then he'll be stuck with it. And most likely say it later. Yesterday he said "Who's your daddy?"
WHERE THE HELL DID HE HEAR THAT? I told him not to say it again.
So yes, he probably leads a rather sheltered life, but I hope that in the long run it works out well.
Some days I don't even like him watching the Simpsons, for Chrissakes.
Maybe I am a prude?
I'm fine with being a prude, but I need to be able to get this across to Jake so that he will stop doing it. I know yelling isn't the right way to go about it. But telling him nicely isn't working either.
I'm half considering writing up a contract and fining him for his indescretions.
I mean, I'm the one who has Derek most of the time, and I don't see any damn reason why he can't just go along with this ONE thing. I know we agree on little else, but DAMN. ><
Any suggestions on how I can get through to him? He doesn't seem to care about my opinion one way or another. One of the reason we are no longer together. LOL.

Comments

Jenn said…
Well i am not sure how to get through to him, but i guess that would all depend on what exactly he is letting Derek watch. Either way Jake should at least try to follow your rules, you are the primary parent.
SWSNBN said…
Well, Spiderman 3 this last time. But Pirates of the Caribbean before, and CSI and just things that he should not be allowed to watch IMO.

He also allows Derek to cuss in front of him. =(
Karen said she was going to talk to Jake, cause Derek just assumed he could do it in front of her as well, and she was like...NO.
He had weird dreams after Pirates, so far nothing strange on Spiderman, but he should know better. Derek WILL tell on him.

Popular posts from this blog

Anonymous no more?

Today is the day, we break free.