He Tastes Like You, Only Sweeter
I have a theory. I've been trying to expand on it, but I just don't know if I can make it work. Two people does not really prove a theory. I was talking with someone at work the other day, and she mentioned how she'd tried really hard to be an "alternative" girl and not like pop. Funny she should mention it, cause I've been running this post through my head for months maybe. Once upon a time, I was that girl. I moved in with some friends, I was pregnant, I was not sure of myself at all.
Wait, back up, it started before that.
I've always loved pop. Ever since my Aunt Shari blasted Madonna in the living room while we danced around and sang out loud with it. I, almost immediately, preferred it to my mother's classic rock music (some of which might actually be ok, but I've always been contrary and a pain in the ass.) and went straight from soft rock to pop. Started listening to things like Madonna, Mariah Carey, and so on and so on. Boys II Men? LOVED them. I realize now that much of what I liked was a direct influence of who I was hanging out with at the time. Am I that much of a follower? I chose to instead say that it's made me that much more appreciative of all kinds of music. Enter NIN. Closer was on the radio for AGES before I even knew what the hell people were making such a fuss over.
When I really listened to it, I found my outlet for teenage angst. All of the crap that was wrong in my life? Alternative music was going to fix it. I developed a disdain for anything pop-related. Instead I spent hours listening to "Pretty Hate Machine" and Salt-N-Pepa's "Very Necessary".
Ok, so my pop roots did not desert me completely, though I maintain that rap does not equal pop.
Pretty Hate Machine got me through one of the worst Christmases of my teenage angst ridiculousness. I think I threatened (over the phone, to crazy ex-boyfriend) that I would have to put my head through the TV before it was over. That was the best thing I could think of at the time, I guess. At least I'm creative!
Then I got pregnant and moved in with friends who seemed to listen mainly to alternative, and some indie music. (apologies if I've mis-labeled anyone's music, this is only my perception) I started listening almost exclusively to these bands. NIN, Sublime, The Offspring. They "got" me in a way no one else could. Especially Trent Reznor. I told everyone I was gonna have his babies.
He sang the way I felt.
I listened to this kind of music for years. Not sure quite how long. I know that everyone I knew was against pop, or so it felt.
Britney Spears came out and I LOVED that first single. Oh, I pretended not to. I pretended to have great disdain, cause I should not love bubblegum pop. I should only love REAL music that was written, played, and sang by the same person.
Fuck that.
I think all kinds of music should be loved. I go from country to rap; classical to jazz; bubblegum pop to singer/songwriter music.
I slowly started going back to my pop roots. It took a long while and I really didn't notice it until only recently.
I started to really think about it when I got my iPod. I would listen almost exclusively to faster, "pop"pier music. Music tends to influence my mood, and so if I listen to the dark shit, I get depressed. I mean, life isn't worth living if you are full of the emo. I haven't quite escaped the emo yet though. I find myself really loving Fallout Boy (have you heard the remix of Arms Race with Kanye? SO FUNNY) as evidenced by the lyric heading this entry. They tend to have, well almost revenge music. Maybe not so emo, but more about the revenge. And I'm not sure why they sing about a he, but maybe this is like the Killer's song that I don't quite "get". I mean, I get it, but I don't "feel" it.
Androgeny is sexy, but I've really only liked it on Tim Curry in RHPS.
I've switched from NIN to Eminem. I don't even own the latest NIN album *gasp*, but I obsessively watch for new Eminem. Yes, maybe his music is more hateful, and it's hate directed at certain groups of people, but they are only words and sometimes screaming along with them is all I can do to turn my mood around. Cause really, my life is not nearly as dramatic as his sounds. My favorite to listen to while feeling down? "Never Enough". There are other ones and ALL of them have a good beat. That's really what I seem to need, the fast paced beat that makes me clean a little faster, sing a little louder, move my ass a little faster.
I've been leaning towards the R&B, hip hop, pop as a general genre now.
Don't get me wrong. I love all the music I've bought, everything I've been influence by, and I will never give up my older albums, it's just that it's weird for me when I almost always skip NIN songs on my iPod. Too depressing and I just can't be that sad all the time.
Some of the artists I love the most have been a direct influence of someone else.
Bikini Kill (ANGRY GIRL PUNK is the best angry music!)-Joi
Portishead-Joi, and Heather and Paul later. (trashy rave!)
Poe-Heather H.
Sarah McLachlan-Heather H.
Stabbing Westward-Ben
Concrete Blond-Jake
Soul Coughing-Erin
Lords of Acid-Ben
Great Expectations Soundtrack-Sidney
I'm sure I'm leaving some other major influences out. Dammit. I hate it when I can't think.
Other favorites I picked up on my own.
Pink
Avril Lavigne
Salt N Pepa
TLC
Aaliyah.
(Do you see how I favor the girls? Something about a girl's voice)
I know that I've influenced others, even people who were scared by my taste in music. I hope I've influenced more. I hope that I've influenced others to be more diverse, to not be scared what others will think of you for liking something that qualifies as "popular". It's popular for a reason, right?
I do get a bit of flak from a lot of people. Some more than others. I hid my Mariah Carey love for a long time, but you know what? She's freaking awesome.
I can't be the only person who thinks so, cause I have not bought millions of copies of her albums all by myself. And maybe I'm a sheep and a follower, but I know what I like and that's music that can be danced to, music that you can clean to, music that reaches your heart even, though it should reach your hips and make them sway first.
It would seem that I graduated from soft rock and pop into alternative, branched out more, but I always come back to my pop roots.
But I've also started to wonder if it's not something that just happens when you are college age, you're just generally disdainful of anything "pop"-py. I hear the college kids talk about groups like The Postal Service (who the hell are they?), but when I hear a new Ciara song on MTV and I'm DYING to get to work and tell someone, they are like what? I don't know that song. I can't be the most hip person in this place. LOL. And DECADES later they are playing the songs I love on their iPods, you know, now that I've moved onto newer songs. =)
It's a hypothesis, and I've never really even liked Science. I'm kind of curious to see if others have had the same experience. ANYONE?
And if you've made it this far, through my rambly-ness, you get points. Points towards a future...um, I don't know. Points towards being my friend. LOL. Not really. We don't keep track around here.
Wait, back up, it started before that.
I've always loved pop. Ever since my Aunt Shari blasted Madonna in the living room while we danced around and sang out loud with it. I, almost immediately, preferred it to my mother's classic rock music (some of which might actually be ok, but I've always been contrary and a pain in the ass.) and went straight from soft rock to pop. Started listening to things like Madonna, Mariah Carey, and so on and so on. Boys II Men? LOVED them. I realize now that much of what I liked was a direct influence of who I was hanging out with at the time. Am I that much of a follower? I chose to instead say that it's made me that much more appreciative of all kinds of music. Enter NIN. Closer was on the radio for AGES before I even knew what the hell people were making such a fuss over.
When I really listened to it, I found my outlet for teenage angst. All of the crap that was wrong in my life? Alternative music was going to fix it. I developed a disdain for anything pop-related. Instead I spent hours listening to "Pretty Hate Machine" and Salt-N-Pepa's "Very Necessary".
Ok, so my pop roots did not desert me completely, though I maintain that rap does not equal pop.
Pretty Hate Machine got me through one of the worst Christmases of my teenage angst ridiculousness. I think I threatened (over the phone, to crazy ex-boyfriend) that I would have to put my head through the TV before it was over. That was the best thing I could think of at the time, I guess. At least I'm creative!
Then I got pregnant and moved in with friends who seemed to listen mainly to alternative, and some indie music. (apologies if I've mis-labeled anyone's music, this is only my perception) I started listening almost exclusively to these bands. NIN, Sublime, The Offspring. They "got" me in a way no one else could. Especially Trent Reznor. I told everyone I was gonna have his babies.
He sang the way I felt.
I listened to this kind of music for years. Not sure quite how long. I know that everyone I knew was against pop, or so it felt.
Britney Spears came out and I LOVED that first single. Oh, I pretended not to. I pretended to have great disdain, cause I should not love bubblegum pop. I should only love REAL music that was written, played, and sang by the same person.
Fuck that.
I think all kinds of music should be loved. I go from country to rap; classical to jazz; bubblegum pop to singer/songwriter music.
I slowly started going back to my pop roots. It took a long while and I really didn't notice it until only recently.
I started to really think about it when I got my iPod. I would listen almost exclusively to faster, "pop"pier music. Music tends to influence my mood, and so if I listen to the dark shit, I get depressed. I mean, life isn't worth living if you are full of the emo. I haven't quite escaped the emo yet though. I find myself really loving Fallout Boy (have you heard the remix of Arms Race with Kanye? SO FUNNY) as evidenced by the lyric heading this entry. They tend to have, well almost revenge music. Maybe not so emo, but more about the revenge. And I'm not sure why they sing about a he, but maybe this is like the Killer's song that I don't quite "get". I mean, I get it, but I don't "feel" it.
Androgeny is sexy, but I've really only liked it on Tim Curry in RHPS.
I've switched from NIN to Eminem. I don't even own the latest NIN album *gasp*, but I obsessively watch for new Eminem. Yes, maybe his music is more hateful, and it's hate directed at certain groups of people, but they are only words and sometimes screaming along with them is all I can do to turn my mood around. Cause really, my life is not nearly as dramatic as his sounds. My favorite to listen to while feeling down? "Never Enough". There are other ones and ALL of them have a good beat. That's really what I seem to need, the fast paced beat that makes me clean a little faster, sing a little louder, move my ass a little faster.
I've been leaning towards the R&B, hip hop, pop as a general genre now.
Don't get me wrong. I love all the music I've bought, everything I've been influence by, and I will never give up my older albums, it's just that it's weird for me when I almost always skip NIN songs on my iPod. Too depressing and I just can't be that sad all the time.
Some of the artists I love the most have been a direct influence of someone else.
Bikini Kill (ANGRY GIRL PUNK is the best angry music!)-Joi
Portishead-Joi, and Heather and Paul later. (trashy rave!)
Poe-Heather H.
Sarah McLachlan-Heather H.
Stabbing Westward-Ben
Concrete Blond-Jake
Soul Coughing-Erin
Lords of Acid-Ben
Great Expectations Soundtrack-Sidney
I'm sure I'm leaving some other major influences out. Dammit. I hate it when I can't think.
Other favorites I picked up on my own.
Pink
Avril Lavigne
Salt N Pepa
TLC
Aaliyah.
(Do you see how I favor the girls? Something about a girl's voice)
I know that I've influenced others, even people who were scared by my taste in music. I hope I've influenced more. I hope that I've influenced others to be more diverse, to not be scared what others will think of you for liking something that qualifies as "popular". It's popular for a reason, right?
I do get a bit of flak from a lot of people. Some more than others. I hid my Mariah Carey love for a long time, but you know what? She's freaking awesome.
I can't be the only person who thinks so, cause I have not bought millions of copies of her albums all by myself. And maybe I'm a sheep and a follower, but I know what I like and that's music that can be danced to, music that you can clean to, music that reaches your heart even, though it should reach your hips and make them sway first.
It would seem that I graduated from soft rock and pop into alternative, branched out more, but I always come back to my pop roots.
But I've also started to wonder if it's not something that just happens when you are college age, you're just generally disdainful of anything "pop"-py. I hear the college kids talk about groups like The Postal Service (who the hell are they?), but when I hear a new Ciara song on MTV and I'm DYING to get to work and tell someone, they are like what? I don't know that song. I can't be the most hip person in this place. LOL. And DECADES later they are playing the songs I love on their iPods, you know, now that I've moved onto newer songs. =)
It's a hypothesis, and I've never really even liked Science. I'm kind of curious to see if others have had the same experience. ANYONE?
And if you've made it this far, through my rambly-ness, you get points. Points towards a future...um, I don't know. Points towards being my friend. LOL. Not really. We don't keep track around here.
Comments