Like I Needed Another Reason To Hate The Beastie Boys
I completely forgot at least two different songs I got from the commercials.
Ack.
My brain is fluff, but I shall try. My head has been hurting all day (I'm blaming it on my son) so I may not make sense.
You've been warned.
Ok..back to where I was..
I believe it was another i-something commercial where you get Mary J. Blige, who pretty much always makes me happy. That one was called "Work That" and I've been listening to it off an on. I guess I can't decide if it puts me in my happy place yet.
I really dug the song from the Dentyne commercial with the frog..turns out it was called "Stuttering" from a band called Ben's Brother. The video on YouTube was pretty much "teh awesome", and I had it as my profile song for a bit, but it's been changed now. You can find it or them via MySpace if you should happen to care.
Speaking of YouTube, I've been getting back into The Prodigy lately.
So I went and found "Smack my b**** up" because I couldn't remember how crazy it was. I'll tell you right now that it was a mind blowing video. You can go find it if you'd like. I'm not about to link, heaven knows I'll get my MySpace account blown up or something. I'll warn you that it is graphic, it is violent, there is even graphically violent puking, which was a little unexpected. Sorry if you already went to look and didn't get that disclaimer.
The Prodigy has been my happy place lately. I believe it actually made me inspired enough to walk the mile from the bus stop home for the past two nights.
I've never felt more in control of my destiny than the past two days, in part to the vagueness I've referenced before. I may actually go into detail at some point, I may not. I'm fickle like that. At one point the only thought running through my head (which is the best part of music from The Prodigy, it doesn't take much thought, it's just FAST..LOL) was "Who needs a prince, when this princess can kill the dragons herself?"
That's what it feels like...I feel like I've conquered another dragon, I've been doing so for ages.
Not that I don't love my boyfriend and need him, just that this particular problem had to be fixed by me. He provided advice and emotional support that I sorely needed, but in the end, it came down to me.
So I've been feeling rather awesome and smart and proud of myself lately.
Back to the music - I was looking at Wikipedia for The Prodigy and I got down to the controversial part of the above song and I am just speechless.
Ha ha. You knew better right? I'm not speechless about it at all. I understand why people get so worried and I guess that I can acknowledge that perhaps some people may be influenced by the music. People who would already be influenced by other things are the most likely though. I mean..I always feel like beating people up after I listen to that song. /sarcasm.
Coming from a place where I've actually dealt with domestic violence, I'll tell you right now that the involved parties did not listen to Techno. Mostly country and classic rock. Do I blame country and classic rock? No. I can't. Blame isn't really the word I'm looking for anyways. I just really hate it when bands put their own spin on their music or others...like political slant? No room in my music for politics, no room for people to veto the above song because it "glorifies" domestic violence (I hate you even more Beastie Boys, I didn't know it was possible to hate you more, but I do.), no room for people to assume that the music brings violence.
I've probably put my foot in my mouth, I'll probably get some disagreement, I had to say something, it's been running around my brain for days.
Perhaps getting it out will help the headache. I can only hope.
Ack.
My brain is fluff, but I shall try. My head has been hurting all day (I'm blaming it on my son) so I may not make sense.
You've been warned.
Ok..back to where I was..
I believe it was another i-something commercial where you get Mary J. Blige, who pretty much always makes me happy. That one was called "Work That" and I've been listening to it off an on. I guess I can't decide if it puts me in my happy place yet.
I really dug the song from the Dentyne commercial with the frog..turns out it was called "Stuttering" from a band called Ben's Brother. The video on YouTube was pretty much "teh awesome", and I had it as my profile song for a bit, but it's been changed now. You can find it or them via MySpace if you should happen to care.
Speaking of YouTube, I've been getting back into The Prodigy lately.
So I went and found "Smack my b**** up" because I couldn't remember how crazy it was. I'll tell you right now that it was a mind blowing video. You can go find it if you'd like. I'm not about to link, heaven knows I'll get my MySpace account blown up or something. I'll warn you that it is graphic, it is violent, there is even graphically violent puking, which was a little unexpected. Sorry if you already went to look and didn't get that disclaimer.
The Prodigy has been my happy place lately. I believe it actually made me inspired enough to walk the mile from the bus stop home for the past two nights.
I've never felt more in control of my destiny than the past two days, in part to the vagueness I've referenced before. I may actually go into detail at some point, I may not. I'm fickle like that. At one point the only thought running through my head (which is the best part of music from The Prodigy, it doesn't take much thought, it's just FAST..LOL) was "Who needs a prince, when this princess can kill the dragons herself?"
That's what it feels like...I feel like I've conquered another dragon, I've been doing so for ages.
Not that I don't love my boyfriend and need him, just that this particular problem had to be fixed by me. He provided advice and emotional support that I sorely needed, but in the end, it came down to me.
So I've been feeling rather awesome and smart and proud of myself lately.
Back to the music - I was looking at Wikipedia for The Prodigy and I got down to the controversial part of the above song and I am just speechless.
Ha ha. You knew better right? I'm not speechless about it at all. I understand why people get so worried and I guess that I can acknowledge that perhaps some people may be influenced by the music. People who would already be influenced by other things are the most likely though. I mean..I always feel like beating people up after I listen to that song. /sarcasm.
Coming from a place where I've actually dealt with domestic violence, I'll tell you right now that the involved parties did not listen to Techno. Mostly country and classic rock. Do I blame country and classic rock? No. I can't. Blame isn't really the word I'm looking for anyways. I just really hate it when bands put their own spin on their music or others...like political slant? No room in my music for politics, no room for people to veto the above song because it "glorifies" domestic violence (I hate you even more Beastie Boys, I didn't know it was possible to hate you more, but I do.), no room for people to assume that the music brings violence.
I've probably put my foot in my mouth, I'll probably get some disagreement, I had to say something, it's been running around my brain for days.
Perhaps getting it out will help the headache. I can only hope.
Comments
I don't like it when bands get all preachy on me.
I like to form my own opinion. Obviously from this blog, I tend to just run my mouth on things anyhow. lol. =)
well that makes sence. I can relate to that for sure. I love the b-boys...I don't find them too preachy though, not in their music at least.
I agree about forming your own opinions on issues, however I do think though that it's important for bands to take stands such as this, because it creates awareness of the issue (for better or worse I suppose) to those that might not accept it from a political figure or their parents ect.
With that being said...when the beastie boys starting complaining about smack my bitch up...they should have just played "licence to Ill" as a retort. The album is all about violence and womanizing. Not very PC...but still fun to listen to.
Anyways, thanks for answering my question!! :) Take care.