I HATE Snow

I've labeled a blog the same way before. It's just that I REALLY hate snow.
The kids here (read: Ben and Derek) love snow. It's so rare around here that they all freak out when it snows.
Imagine my disgruntlement when I realized that though I thought I had moved to a snow-less area, it only had not snowed for many years in a row, but it snows at least once a year here it would seem.
I know I should suck it up. I only have to deal with it for mainly a day. Though the snow today has effectively cut off school in Springfield tomorrow.
Derek was suspended from school on Friday, I don't even want to get into it here, let's just say the boy has a spectacular temper. He didn't hit anyone, just threw one hell of a temper tantrum. He's been very grounded all weekend. And people wonder why I get so worried about how he could act in public. There are no warning signs, the boy just goes full on ANGER.
I like to think it's not genetic, but I moved out after Jake kicked a whole in the wall over something completely stupid, so it's hard for me. Derek even brought up that his dad has a temper, and I said...yes, but it should not be genetic, it should be learned and Ben and I do not have that kind of temper. It's been quite difficult and had blindsided me. This is what I get for having such an easy baby, I get a quite difficult 10 year old. This further reinforces my belief that babies are no where in my future.
Ok, ENOUGH about that.
So, I hate snow.
This weather has been fecking up my skin. It's so angry, I've been taking antihistamines to combat how itchy I've been. Antihistamines make me stupid, beyond stupid even.
But add the snow? I was irritated from the get go this morning when the child announced there was snow. We ground him for the weekend, nature rewards him with snow. Like I could ground him from the snow that all Oregon kids crave. Grr.
I stayed in bed for much of the day, even dozing off at some point. I guess I've been tired? I don't know.
The boys went out to make a snowman, and I must say that there is something wrong with me...
Most girls I know (who talk about such things) are like...OMG! That guy at work is hot, and I don't notice such things. I never seem to notice boy-hotness when it surrounds me. I mean, I work with a bunch of college guys, so it would stand to reason that some of them are cute.
But Ben today? He went out with Derek and let me stay inside and take a ridiculously long bath, and made that snowman.
That's sexy to me. That my boyfriend gets along so well with my kid. That my boyfriend is out there throwing snowballs at the tree with a grin on his face with my kid. That my boyfriend is awesome. (pictures are in my pictures, go look if you want.)
That brightened my spirits some, and so I've been trying to center my outlook on fun snow memories. Instead of the memories of walking to school every morning, having wet feet all day, having my wet hair dry into something the sounded like straw on the walk to school one morning (how many times did I look behind me wondering what the hell was making that noise?), just the general memories of the crazy snow in Colorado. I don't miss the snow in Colorado. How did my skin manage so well for so long? It's sissy skin now, the weather drops below 45 and I can hardly stand it. I want to itch my skin off.
But we were ignoring the bad parts, yes?
Sorry, I got off track.
The good snow memory?
Derek's first snow experience.
We had went up to Washington when Derek was barely over two. Jake wanted me to go with and pretend we were still involved, or something to that effect. Maybe it was just that he knew I would not let him take Derek alone. I figured, what the hell? Free vacation, and Jake and I were still on relatively good terms (meaning, I was not trying to be involved with anyone besides Jake yet) and so we went with him to visit his oldest brother. Sheldon and Tammy are awesome. Derek got to meet his older cousin, Alora, and I got to meet some of the family. The more normal part of the family, at that.
Seattle was awesome. The drive was LONG, but when we got there we got a whole room to ourselves, they even had a playpen/crib thing so that Derek could sleep comfortably.
We took one of Tammy's days off and went to Mount Ranier to play in the snow. Derek DID not like the idea of sledding down the hill, until almost the very end of the day and then he wanted to do it a lot. What I remember most is how he kept pulling his gloves off to touch the white snow, and then he would get mad because it was so cold on his hand. No one ever said 2 year olds are full of reason, but it was still funny (and I'm sure frustrating at the time) to watch him take those gloves off to explore, even knowing he was going to be irritated afterwards.
The next day we went to this awesome kid's museum. Tammy had to work, so Sheldon, Jake, and I took the kids to this small museum where everything was really hands on and very cool for children. It was a "museum" where you could let the kids play with things, they even had toys inside of play fridges and things. I don't know what it was called, and I know I'll probably never get to Washington again to see it, but I know it's close to the Space Needle and close enough to Pike's Place that there were signs for it everywhere. We didn't make it out of the museum early enough to go to Pike's Place, but we did end up seeing this awesome little street band, Bakra Bata, who played percussion mainly. The kids danced around - or, their version of dancing, it was quite cute - and I bought a CD. I was certain that I should contribute to these people who played on the street (oh, noble me - I'm a little stupid and stuck up sometimes) and bought a CD and the liner notes actually told me that they had been a band for 10 years and CHOSE to play on the streets. So much for my nobleness. LOL.
I like that CD for the memories, but I really never listen to it. =S
Anyhow. That's my good snow memory, and a little more added for fun. Ha ha.
Ps. My hair? I love it like ten thousand times more than my old hair. For one? I can wear it down and it doesn't tangle in two seconds.
Also? Tammy and Jenn and I went out for sushi, coffee, and yummy dessert, than a trip to Shari's. Shari's and coffee are pretty much synonymous with good times and good nights out. I felt like we talked a lot, I felt like we connected a lot, I even ate fried Calamari! I know! I was surprised, but how can battered things be gross? I'm not sure it's possible. I've talked Ben into going and so when I have tax refund money I am taking Ben and the boy child out to the Sushi Station. Ben says he will eat Yakisoba, and I'm sure Derek will eat anything with shrimp on it, and he loves the rice, so we'll see how well it goes. I'm just happy that I may have sushi again as early as next Friday, all depends on when I get the deposit.
All in all? Life's been stressful what with the kid's mesbehaving (he JUST got grounded from video games for a month, now suspended? Good lord. And I've felt a weird need to play video games, like I need to balance his inability to play. I beat Sonic the Hedgehog in about 3 hours last night, I even got all the crystals.), but I wouldn't trade my life for anything. Ben and I are fast coming up on 7 years, and my job is steady and predictable, the kid may be difficult, but thankfully the rest of my life is not. Let's just hope I get the kid in shape before he's taller than me, cause it won't be much longer. I always knew that he would end up taller than me, but not I'm half wondering if he'll end up even taller than Jake. That would be a bit much. Jake, at 6 feet tall, is not exactly short.
I hope that it's been a good week for everyone, it's been a semi good long weekend for me, aside from having the kid being suspended from school. I'm so mortified! Who gets suspended from elementary school? I don't think I EVER got suspended...I can't remember. It seems odd that I didn't, but at least it wasn't in elem. school, it may have been in middle school when I was caught with cigarettes. (ok, so maybe I'm more mortified now, I was a delinquent, but it doesn't make it any easier that my kid seems to be following in my footsteps.)
I'm mortified and a hypocrite. =S

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anonymous no more?

Today is the day, we break free.