I had a rant, I forgot!
So.
I'm really fucking sick of that commercial about HPV and cervical cancer. You know the one?
All the women say something about having "no idea" that HPV can cause cervical cancer.
I'm pretty sure I knew that before this damn commercial.
Anyone who reads any sort of pamphlets or goes to the doctor every year for their pap should know this.
Even if they don't, WHY DO PEOPLE STILL NOT GO IN FOR PAP SMEARS?
I found an article that says only 10 different strains of HPV can possibly cause cervical cancer. So I guess the commercial is kind of lying.
But in the article, they also say
"The current death rate for cervical cancer remains higher that it should be due to the approximately one-third of women who do not have regular annual Pap smears. An estimate 90% of cervical cancer deaths could be eliminated through earlier detection with the Pap smear."
ONE THIRD?? Why would anyone avoid this? Sure it's not pleasant, but it's necessary. At least to me. My mother was diagnosed with cervical cancer. She's not dead...but I can't help remembering that she is 47, and my grandma died at 49.
I don't remember her going in for treatment. My sisters remember nothing of it. When I am really angry, I wonder if she didn't make it up to make us feel sorry for her.
You'd think it'd be more advanced at this point?
We have family planning here in Oregon. I don't know if they have it elsewhere. But I know that even during years when I had no insurance, I could go in and get my annual pap. And my birth control. I don't know if I'm so diligent because of my mother's diagnosis, or what.
After sitting here wondering why I read that some people go in every 3 years and others go in every 5, I started wondering how often it is recommended.
Here is what I found
I did have sex before 18, I've had multiple sexual partners, I sometimes smoke, and I had one abnormal pap after I had Derek.
I will continue to go yearly. It makes sense for me.
I just don't understand why someone wouldn't take a half hour, or even an hour to make sure they don't have cancer. To catch it early if it does show up. To increase your chances of SURVIVAL.
I just can't imagine people don't get that. I may not be as "deep" as some people. I might even be considered shallow and I don't exactly follow the news, yet SOMEHOW I know that getting an annual pap smear is that way to go. So it just doesn't make sense to me that others don't do it.
Maybe I'm crazy. Could be.
I'm really fucking sick of that commercial about HPV and cervical cancer. You know the one?
All the women say something about having "no idea" that HPV can cause cervical cancer.
I'm pretty sure I knew that before this damn commercial.
Anyone who reads any sort of pamphlets or goes to the doctor every year for their pap should know this.
Even if they don't, WHY DO PEOPLE STILL NOT GO IN FOR PAP SMEARS?
I found an article that says only 10 different strains of HPV can possibly cause cervical cancer. So I guess the commercial is kind of lying.
But in the article, they also say
"The current death rate for cervical cancer remains higher that it should be due to the approximately one-third of women who do not have regular annual Pap smears. An estimate 90% of cervical cancer deaths could be eliminated through earlier detection with the Pap smear."
ONE THIRD?? Why would anyone avoid this? Sure it's not pleasant, but it's necessary. At least to me. My mother was diagnosed with cervical cancer. She's not dead...but I can't help remembering that she is 47, and my grandma died at 49.
I don't remember her going in for treatment. My sisters remember nothing of it. When I am really angry, I wonder if she didn't make it up to make us feel sorry for her.
You'd think it'd be more advanced at this point?
We have family planning here in Oregon. I don't know if they have it elsewhere. But I know that even during years when I had no insurance, I could go in and get my annual pap. And my birth control. I don't know if I'm so diligent because of my mother's diagnosis, or what.
After sitting here wondering why I read that some people go in every 3 years and others go in every 5, I started wondering how often it is recommended.
Here is what I found
I did have sex before 18, I've had multiple sexual partners, I sometimes smoke, and I had one abnormal pap after I had Derek.
I will continue to go yearly. It makes sense for me.
I just don't understand why someone wouldn't take a half hour, or even an hour to make sure they don't have cancer. To catch it early if it does show up. To increase your chances of SURVIVAL.
I just can't imagine people don't get that. I may not be as "deep" as some people. I might even be considered shallow and I don't exactly follow the news, yet SOMEHOW I know that getting an annual pap smear is that way to go. So it just doesn't make sense to me that others don't do it.
Maybe I'm crazy. Could be.
Comments
because every time I go in I have a bad pap, and every time I have a bad pap they want to do a biopsy, and every biopsy says the same thing, no cancer!
but the biopsies are extremely painful, and I'm tired of going through all that just to find out I don't have cancer, and it's just a little odd cell growth caused by my smoking and high level of stress.
I guess I can see your point. *grudgingly*
No, just kidding. Most people I talk to do not have any real reason. They just "don't like too".
You know how I am about being touched. Wellll... ironically, considering what a slut I've been in the past, pre-baby I was REALLY shy about people seeing my body and OHMYGOD "down there?!"
I cried through my whole first pap. I'm not as bad with it now.
Now I just cry after.
I don't know if it's because of rape, abuse, or whatever but I can totally see why people avoid it.
At least it's necessary to me.
Much like vaccinations.
But I have to remember, that not everyone is ME. Everyone is different. I guess I was hoping to bring someone's attention to it who might not know otherwise and instead it came off all preachy. =(