My Apologies for Ignoring Anyone
I stayed away from the internet ALL DAY yesterday.
Monday was busy, in that Derek threw up twice, his fever hit 103, and we started dosing him up hardcore with Tylenol and Motrin.
His fever stayed manageable. And since he's one of those kids where he's sick for like...a day...and then he's all better, I didn't worry to much about it the next day. I kept him home and I stayed home, just so that I could make sure. He looked fine all morning, not his usual fidgety self, but fine. I asked him if he thought I should take his temperature...which I should have been doing all along.
It was at 104.4...I took the temp two more times, thinking for sure I was doing something wrong.
I dosed him up with the Motrin, I took a cool rag and held it to his face, I checked his temp. about every 20 minutes. It wasn't going down fast enough for me. Inside I was panicking, outside I tried to be calm and I ALMOST did it. Ben asked me if I'd like to go outside with him and smoke before we left for the doctor, and I was like...no, I have to sit and stare at him in case he passes out or goes into some sort of convulsions. At least I tried to say convulsions...I'd started the sentence out flippantly, but it ended in a choke as I started to imagine that. We all know how good I am at imagining worse case scenarios. Anyhow. An hour later we're at the doctor, and I'm still wondering how someone with 104.4 fever can even function, and he's still walking and skipping along. I was sure the Doctor was going to laugh at me as he skipped into her office.
His temp was still up at 102.3, so they started to worry about him having strep. He's had it before with the bare minimum of signs, so they started him on antibiotics, and told me to keep doing what I was doing. We now know that he is 62 lbs, and closer to the range on all those medicine bottles that say 9. Sure, it's the lower range, but maybe that extra bit of medicine helped.
We left @ 2, we got home by 6:30, but we got the prescription and some vitamins and ate. Plus, the first place didn't have any more of the medicine, so we went to Fred Meyers and had to wait. Where I bought him more stuff, cause god, I felt guilty. I should have been watching his temp. all morning. Perhaps I could have kept it from getting so high, I dunno.
Maybe that's what my staying away from the internet yesterday was about. Perhaps I was punishing myself? I barely left him alone for two seconds, so it was probably more like I was just taking care of my kid.
Today, his temp hasn't gone above 98.8, so we are doing much better. So far. I hope it stays that way. Another day of constantly monitoring him, when I don't feel so much better myself, sounds tiring.
I'll try and get caught up. If I don't, then I am lying in bed, moaning. I'm a bad sick person. Luckily, Ben does not seem to have got any of it. But you know what? When he gets sick, I get it, and when Derek gets sick, I get it. But they rarely get sick off each other, or off of me, I guess. If that makes sense. I hope that I'm not making people sick anyhow. It probably means my immunities are not as up to snuff as both of theirs are.
We bought Flintstones vitamins, and I think Derek would eat them all day if I let him.
Monday was busy, in that Derek threw up twice, his fever hit 103, and we started dosing him up hardcore with Tylenol and Motrin.
His fever stayed manageable. And since he's one of those kids where he's sick for like...a day...and then he's all better, I didn't worry to much about it the next day. I kept him home and I stayed home, just so that I could make sure. He looked fine all morning, not his usual fidgety self, but fine. I asked him if he thought I should take his temperature...which I should have been doing all along.
It was at 104.4...I took the temp two more times, thinking for sure I was doing something wrong.
I dosed him up with the Motrin, I took a cool rag and held it to his face, I checked his temp. about every 20 minutes. It wasn't going down fast enough for me. Inside I was panicking, outside I tried to be calm and I ALMOST did it. Ben asked me if I'd like to go outside with him and smoke before we left for the doctor, and I was like...no, I have to sit and stare at him in case he passes out or goes into some sort of convulsions. At least I tried to say convulsions...I'd started the sentence out flippantly, but it ended in a choke as I started to imagine that. We all know how good I am at imagining worse case scenarios. Anyhow. An hour later we're at the doctor, and I'm still wondering how someone with 104.4 fever can even function, and he's still walking and skipping along. I was sure the Doctor was going to laugh at me as he skipped into her office.
His temp was still up at 102.3, so they started to worry about him having strep. He's had it before with the bare minimum of signs, so they started him on antibiotics, and told me to keep doing what I was doing. We now know that he is 62 lbs, and closer to the range on all those medicine bottles that say 9. Sure, it's the lower range, but maybe that extra bit of medicine helped.
We left @ 2, we got home by 6:30, but we got the prescription and some vitamins and ate. Plus, the first place didn't have any more of the medicine, so we went to Fred Meyers and had to wait. Where I bought him more stuff, cause god, I felt guilty. I should have been watching his temp. all morning. Perhaps I could have kept it from getting so high, I dunno.
Maybe that's what my staying away from the internet yesterday was about. Perhaps I was punishing myself? I barely left him alone for two seconds, so it was probably more like I was just taking care of my kid.
Today, his temp hasn't gone above 98.8, so we are doing much better. So far. I hope it stays that way. Another day of constantly monitoring him, when I don't feel so much better myself, sounds tiring.
I'll try and get caught up. If I don't, then I am lying in bed, moaning. I'm a bad sick person. Luckily, Ben does not seem to have got any of it. But you know what? When he gets sick, I get it, and when Derek gets sick, I get it. But they rarely get sick off each other, or off of me, I guess. If that makes sense. I hope that I'm not making people sick anyhow. It probably means my immunities are not as up to snuff as both of theirs are.
We bought Flintstones vitamins, and I think Derek would eat them all day if I let him.
Comments
I am beyond grateful for the technology and affordability of that which keeps her doped up and un-miserable!
The tylenol brought the temperature down to a manageable level, but it never brought it down all the way. I became quite obsessive about taking his temperature. =S