I learned something today.

Actually. I knew it to begin with. But somehow I lost it today.
We do our deposit on an excel spreadsheet.
We are accountants, we do A LOT of things on spreadsheets.
SO...I had finished the deposit and was just wrapping things up, when I decided that I should figure out which weekends I am working on for the upcoming months.
Which is also on an Excel worksheet.
Anyone see where I am going with this?

I went and shut down the spreadsheet for the weekend rotation and when it asked me if I wanted to save changes...I thought it meant on the rotation list...so I said no. I didn't think I had changed anything, but those programs always ask that. I always say no.
I shut down the ENTIRE Excel program. With my deposit NOT SAVED. I USUALLY save it a bunch....cause of things like this. But I hadn't.
I tried in vain to find something that would help. I then called my boss, very upset, to see what I should do.
I DID remember the totals at the end. I did have the ending deposit.
She had me "fake" it. Just put in amounts on each register to make it work and balance at the end. I thought it was gonna be hard. Kind of like a puzzle, but I just had to balance it all out.
It didn't take too long. I went and saved after EVERY sheet.
It was really shitty. I felt like a COMPLETE idiot. Although "fixing" it wasn't too hard.
Still...SAVE PEOPLE! SAVE EVERY GODDAMN MINUTE! Don't be like me.
Otherwise, I got a lot done. Mostly Tara's stuff, cause she was SUPER upset yesterday and couldn't get the safe counted.
(I will get to that later.)
What I don't get is that she ALWAYS commiserates with me about how people don't appreciate when you are helpful at work. This whole thank you note thing is supposed to let people know you appreciate them. Yet...I'm fairly certain that she hasn't written one to anyone.
And I tend to help her the most...just cause I would want someone to help me.
Maybe...I guess I tend to think of most of my work as too complicated for other people to help with...
But the deposit stuff is stuff that everyone deals with. So, I finished the deposit, then rung through some concessions, then counted the safe.
It was definitely productive. I even tried to ring through some more of the concessions, but it kept fucking up, so I gave up.
RIGHT before 6, a BUNCH of people showed up and starting SLOWLY ambling their way through the store. I did....4 or 5 closing calls, and I guess someone heard one of the people say..I HEARD the call before, but I WASN'T DONE shopping.
Stupid spoiled college whore!
Where do YOU work...you prolly don't...but if you do, why don't I come in RIGHT before you close and make a nuisance of myself?
And on a Saturday! Of COURSE, people want to leave. One of my co-workers called me and said she LOVED me for getting those people out of there.
Who doesn't like to be told they are loved? =)
It made me happy. And I realized that I can do the closing call without the card. I usually have to read, but I managed to do it each time without the card.
The sniffer had questions of course, and the NERVE to say..I haven't been up here covering much.
SHE HAD JUST BEEN ASKED IF SHE NEEDED TO GO UP AND PRACTICE ON THURSDAY! She said..no, I can handle it.
Obviously, you can't. I ran up the stairs three times in the morning, before even SHE realized that it was stupid for me to have to run up and down the stairs. Then she stopped calling me. =)
I'm just hoping that between the two newbies and myself (who was stuck in a room much of the time), we don't get in trouble.
(I shall explain that more later as well. It was a WEIRD day.)

Comments

Brandy said…
I think our Excel has an autosave feature every minute. Word does...
SWSNBN said…
Yes, it did autosave, which is perhaps why I was so lax. Except after shutting down the whole program, I didn't find any options to recover autosave. I think that only works when you fucked something up and then want to revert to what it had saved. When I did a help search, it told me where it had saved it, but there wasn't anything there either.
=S
I tried SO hard.

Popular posts from this blog

Anonymous no more?

Today is the day, we break free.