"Should I just give up, or try to live up to these expectations?"
So, I was thinking more about why I'm letting this whole thing get so overwhelming.
I'm not just supporting my kid, I'm effectively supporting a family at this point.
I'm terrified of letting them down, of failing.
Is this how all heads of household feel? Damn, I had it easy for awhile.
It's a scary thought.
I met with a lawyer yesterday. Very nice guy, seemed like he actually cared, which does not fit well with my lawyer=shark thoughts. He told me that they were unlikely to care why I stopped paying. But that my answer (the one I drew up on my OWN!) was "not a bad answer", and he checked the statute of limitations for me and made sure it was the 6 years I had been reading. Basically he told me that the lawyers would actually prefer I draw it out, as long as they win. If I win, they are out all the money and work, but that in most cases they do win. So it's great for them to pad their expenses and then I have to pay that much more. If I am correct, and they can't prove that I paid anything in October, I am judgment proof.
I was trying to lead him to my questions, and he seemed surprised that I knew as much as I did. Which makes me happy, that means I am being the over achiever I've been in most cases. It means I have a good grasp on the situation.
I walked out of that meeting feeling a thousand pounds lighter.
He told me I should probably call them lawyers and see if I can get proof. Force their had, call their bluff, whatever you want to call it.
I was worried, but I sucked it up and called and talked to one of them about getting proof, and about how I'd much rather settle this without it having to go to court.
He told me that he thought the statute of limitations was 7 years, and I said...NOPE, the attorney and everything I've read has told me otherwise.
He didn't say anything after that.
He's supposed to be getting me proof that I paid them in October.
The longer it's taking him, the more cautiously optimistic I am.
If he can provide me proof, I'm going to make them an offer on what I will pay of the debt.
That seems like the best course of action. Skipping the court thing, hopefully not having to hire an attorney.
If they won't accept my offer, well, I'll have to go the whole nine yards, and then declare bankruptcy. I might mention that while I am trying to negotiate what I might pay them. Not sure yet. Not sure they'll care, but I would care if I spent all that time and money to take someone to court only to have them declare bankruptcy.
The guy told me that I really should "save" bankruptcy for a bigger debt, but I can't afford to have them garnish me. That's all their is too it. I'd have to close my bank account so that they couldn't take all that money as well. I guess they can only garnish so much of your paycheck, but they can garnish your whole bank account, even with someone else on the account. So they could garnish my check and then take the money out of my account and effectively take my whole paycheck. ALL MY MONEY.
I'm not going to go above 1100 or so for an offer. I can't imagine it would cost me more than that to declare bankruptcy. And I'm going to start low.
Cross your fingers for me so that I might be the "master haggler".
Edit- As of 2, I have not received a phone call. I hope that's a good thing. Oh lord, let it be a good thing!
I'm not just supporting my kid, I'm effectively supporting a family at this point.
I'm terrified of letting them down, of failing.
Is this how all heads of household feel? Damn, I had it easy for awhile.
It's a scary thought.
I met with a lawyer yesterday. Very nice guy, seemed like he actually cared, which does not fit well with my lawyer=shark thoughts. He told me that they were unlikely to care why I stopped paying. But that my answer (the one I drew up on my OWN!) was "not a bad answer", and he checked the statute of limitations for me and made sure it was the 6 years I had been reading. Basically he told me that the lawyers would actually prefer I draw it out, as long as they win. If I win, they are out all the money and work, but that in most cases they do win. So it's great for them to pad their expenses and then I have to pay that much more. If I am correct, and they can't prove that I paid anything in October, I am judgment proof.
I was trying to lead him to my questions, and he seemed surprised that I knew as much as I did. Which makes me happy, that means I am being the over achiever I've been in most cases. It means I have a good grasp on the situation.
I walked out of that meeting feeling a thousand pounds lighter.
He told me I should probably call them lawyers and see if I can get proof. Force their had, call their bluff, whatever you want to call it.
I was worried, but I sucked it up and called and talked to one of them about getting proof, and about how I'd much rather settle this without it having to go to court.
He told me that he thought the statute of limitations was 7 years, and I said...NOPE, the attorney and everything I've read has told me otherwise.
He didn't say anything after that.
He's supposed to be getting me proof that I paid them in October.
The longer it's taking him, the more cautiously optimistic I am.
If he can provide me proof, I'm going to make them an offer on what I will pay of the debt.
That seems like the best course of action. Skipping the court thing, hopefully not having to hire an attorney.
If they won't accept my offer, well, I'll have to go the whole nine yards, and then declare bankruptcy. I might mention that while I am trying to negotiate what I might pay them. Not sure yet. Not sure they'll care, but I would care if I spent all that time and money to take someone to court only to have them declare bankruptcy.
The guy told me that I really should "save" bankruptcy for a bigger debt, but I can't afford to have them garnish me. That's all their is too it. I'd have to close my bank account so that they couldn't take all that money as well. I guess they can only garnish so much of your paycheck, but they can garnish your whole bank account, even with someone else on the account. So they could garnish my check and then take the money out of my account and effectively take my whole paycheck. ALL MY MONEY.
I'm not going to go above 1100 or so for an offer. I can't imagine it would cost me more than that to declare bankruptcy. And I'm going to start low.
Cross your fingers for me so that I might be the "master haggler".
Edit- As of 2, I have not received a phone call. I hope that's a good thing. Oh lord, let it be a good thing!
Comments
More importantly what was the amount left on the charged amount when you stopped paying? Before all the fees got tacked onto it?
Don't go above that amount for your offer.