"Who knows, maybe it’s all a dream."

Today started out WRONG. I'm pretty sure that everyone knows I'm the sole Oregonian who hates snow.

So when I looked out the window this morning, I was already irritated. Turned on the TV, found out Derek didn't have school, made me even more irritated.
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's enjoying the snow he likes, but that means I'm the ONLY one in the house who had to come out and be out in this crap for the coldest parts of the day.

I made it to the bus stop without incident, left with plenty of time since I was already running late, and waited for half and hour for a bus that never came.
I often have these kinds of dreams, ones where I can't seem to make it to work, either the bus won't come, or it's already really late (like 4 in the afternoon) or I just CAN'T get here for whatever reason.
It's almost the exact same dreams that I used to have where I'd left my kid at daycare when he went to daycare. A million dreams and I never actually forgot him there.

I can usually just tell myself it's only a dream.

Until today. I had a moment where I actually wondered if perhaps I WAS dreaming, and that's why there was no bus, but no such luck. My feet were too cold for it to be a dream.
They are just starting to warm up.

Luckily, I have options and can go down the other street and catch a bus. Not as easy at night, sadly.

So I start my ride home with some amount of trepidation, which I believe is quite deserved at this point, but they were on time and they did connect.
Not without some asshattery on the way. The bus driver got snippy with me, just because I asked when he was leaving. It's understandable that people don't know what is going on, on this, crazy bus day full of snow.
I think.
So this guy passes on his irritation to me, I get downtown and the bus parks in the wrong spot. I figured it out and I got on the right bus, but one guy didn't. They can't just stop carefully on the ice and let people on while driving through the station.
It could have just as easily been me, if I hadn't been paying attention. See, I've got on the wrong bus before and now I pay more attention.
I feel kind of bad for that guy, but I'm not sure anything I could have done would have helped.

All I know is that now I am home. I'm much happier, Ben is making hamburgers for dinner..(yum) and that means I get to use up some of my bleu cheese (it feels fake to spell it that way, but I think that's right. Meh) on top of it.

I hope the bus is on time tomorrow. I also hope Derek doesn't have school. I'd rather not send him out on the ice. The boy is a walking accident, and it's all I can do to stop trying to see how his face would look planted in the ice. That would really screw up the teeth. So let's not have school tomorrow ok? I'll even try not to be so bitchy when I realize that yet again, I'm the only one who must brave this........tiny, tiny bit of snow.
It's the ice that gets me.

In Colorado they probably have more snow already then we'll see in the next year, maybe even two years. Maybe even 5. I really don't know. Can you tell?
It's a lot more common, a lot more normal, and yet I'm so used to Oregon that I'm a whiny bitch about the weather when it snows.

This brings to mind a blizzard we had in Colorado and it was bad. The snow was swirling around and visibility was maybe a few feet ahead of you. My mom and I had to walk to someone's car cause they couldn't chance driving down the street to her house, so we had to get to the end of the block.
It seemed like a long way, too long, so I very theatrically laid down in the snow and just told her to leave me there. I wasn't gonna make it that whole long way.
Yes, I suppose I do deserve every bit of Derek's theatrics, but that's besides the point.

I don't even know if I honestly remember that whole story, I'm pretty sure I remember all the snow, but I think the last bit was retold to me by my mother.
Memories are funny like that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anonymous no more?

Today is the day, we break free.